How To Use This Book List

Many of the books here are written for young adults. However, some are definitely adult books. I don't always specify in my comments; however if you are interested in a book, find it at the library. If it's in Juvenile Fiction or Young Adult Fiction, it's usually safe for kids 12-15 (be sure to preview just in case). If the book is found elsewhere, you can always ask a librarian for their input.
Personally, a few swear words don't do much for me, so I don't usually remember they are in there. Other types of content, however, are usually commented on.
Enjoy!!

p.s. Please leave a "care-to-share" (aka, comment) anytime you like.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Help

by Kathryn Stockett

I wasn't sure where this book was going, but as I kept reading I really got into it. I found that I was rationalizing why I could do dishes later and laundry could wait just so I could go read. The way the characters came to life was fabulous! It takes place in mid-1960's South. Racial tensions are intense and the United States is going through change. There is some language (no F) and adult content (naked man incident), so I wouldn't recommend for teens. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and learned a few things along the way.

**** I can't say it will be one I read again, but I'm glad I read it this time.

Not sure what I'll read next...any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know that I would read this a second time either, but I LOVED it. The characters were so rich and interesting and complicated. The time period is just not that long ago but such a different time than when and where I grew up. Glad you enjoyed it.

    Next-- Guernsey! or The Book Thief!

    ReplyDelete