How To Use This Book List

Many of the books here are written for young adults. However, some are definitely adult books. I don't always specify in my comments; however if you are interested in a book, find it at the library. If it's in Juvenile Fiction or Young Adult Fiction, it's usually safe for kids 12-15 (be sure to preview just in case). If the book is found elsewhere, you can always ask a librarian for their input.
Personally, a few swear words don't do much for me, so I don't usually remember they are in there. Other types of content, however, are usually commented on.
Enjoy!!

p.s. Please leave a "care-to-share" (aka, comment) anytime you like.

Monday, March 15, 2010

The Lovely Bones

by Alice Sebold

This is definitely a book for adults! I found it to be somewhat disturbing to begin. I was hoping for the fairy-tale ending...that's why I read juvenile and young adult books - they end happily. I was intrigued by the story and characters, but I can't say I loved it. I'm not even sure I enjoyed it, but I do feel satisfied.

This book dropped the f-bomb twice (ugh!) and had somewhat graphic descriptions of rape, murder, and implications of sex. Again - NOT FOR YOUNG ADULTS!

** - I don't recommend it to sensitive readers

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about this book. I was glad I read it but I don't really recommend it because it was a hard read.

    BTW- I was warned- do NOT read her other book, I think it is called Lucky because it is her real experience with rape and very graphic.

    ReplyDelete