How To Use This Book List

Many of the books here are written for young adults. However, some are definitely adult books. I don't always specify in my comments; however if you are interested in a book, find it at the library. If it's in Juvenile Fiction or Young Adult Fiction, it's usually safe for kids 12-15 (be sure to preview just in case). If the book is found elsewhere, you can always ask a librarian for their input.
Personally, a few swear words don't do much for me, so I don't usually remember they are in there. Other types of content, however, are usually commented on.
Enjoy!!

p.s. Please leave a "care-to-share" (aka, comment) anytime you like.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Reliable Wife

by Robert Goolrick

I found myself fascinated and repulsed at the same time. The entire book is very Freudian. Sex is not merely an underlying piece, but rather, the reason the story exists. It is somewhat explicit (18+) and at times almost offensive. Yet without the details, it would read something like this: Man needs wife. Wife arrives. She travels. He doesn't. She returns. They live.
I'm not sure how I feel about this book. A man requests a wife. A woman answers his ad. There are details and back-stories that open as the story moves, but it was all very...adult.

I guess I enjoy stories that have less adult-content and are written for a younger audience. If you enjoy a story strictly for adults - language, story line, content - then you'll probably enjoy this book. However, it wasn't for me.

*** adult book (not really my thing)

2 comments:

  1. I love that adult books are not your thing. ;)

    Sorry for the heavy content- I think I'll steer clear of this one for now. I don't mind some heavy content but try to avoid explicit if I can.

    Again- if you don't like adult explicit, you may not want to read Water for Elephants. Maybe I'll censor mine and bring it to you. I just read they are making a movie of it with Robert Pattinson. Not sure how I feel about that.

    Kate and I are curious about the 13th Reality- I'll be waiting to hear what you think of that series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOH! I'll find that one soon. I've gotten very cheap lately and don't want to buy books - Library surplus is great, though ($.50 or $1)!!

    ReplyDelete