How To Use This Book List

Many of the books here are written for young adults. However, some are definitely adult books. I don't always specify in my comments; however if you are interested in a book, find it at the library. If it's in Juvenile Fiction or Young Adult Fiction, it's usually safe for kids 12-15 (be sure to preview just in case). If the book is found elsewhere, you can always ask a librarian for their input.
Personally, a few swear words don't do much for me, so I don't usually remember they are in there. Other types of content, however, are usually commented on.
Enjoy!!

p.s. Please leave a "care-to-share" (aka, comment) anytime you like.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

by Lewis Carroll

I had never read this book. Being inspired by the new movie that came out, I thought I'd give it a go. But, I also knew that if I started it and was totally confused because of the proper English, (as opposed to common everyday talk), I'd put it down and never pick it back up. Also, I just started reading The Host by Stephanie Meyer, so I didn't want to have to books going - that's overwhelming to me. So......I bought the audiobook for my iPod and listened while I exercised.

Christopher Plummer (dad from The Sound of Music) narrates...WOW! I almost turned it off during the first 5 minutes. But after that, I. was. hooked.

Fantastic tale of imaginary creatures, words, and experiences. Much Much MUCH better than either movie, but it helped the movies make more sense.

LOVED IT!! Definitely a musts-read (or listen). I loved the character voices on the audiobook. They helped me keep track of what was going on.

*****
Truly a classic.
And, YES, I do believe Mr. Carroll may have ingested some hallucinogenic "medication" previous to scripting this tale.

2 comments:

  1. Lissa-just had the opportunity to look at this blog of yours for the first time. I love that you are doing this and I will be tuning in from time to time to get new ideas and books to read. I just joined a book club at work and they chose to read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". A lot of the books on your read list are ones that I want to read or have. I just finished "The Lovely Bones". I thought it would be better from the comments I was getting from people, but I was a little disappointed. I have joined the club online goodreads.com. You should join too. Great way to see what other people are reading and recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Alice. I'll have to give it a try.

    (Let me know if you ever join good reads!)

    ReplyDelete