How To Use This Book List

Many of the books here are written for young adults. However, some are definitely adult books. I don't always specify in my comments; however if you are interested in a book, find it at the library. If it's in Juvenile Fiction or Young Adult Fiction, it's usually safe for kids 12-15 (be sure to preview just in case). If the book is found elsewhere, you can always ask a librarian for their input.
Personally, a few swear words don't do much for me, so I don't usually remember they are in there. Other types of content, however, are usually commented on.
Enjoy!!

p.s. Please leave a "care-to-share" (aka, comment) anytime you like.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Drowning Ruth

by Christina Schwarz

Ok. This is a book from Oprah's booklist. Having said that, I personally don't put a lot of credibility in Oprah's choice in books. So. I was talking to a friend and found a great way to describe this book: Not entertaining, but worthwhile. It is written for adults (no language, but a little disturbing). I found this story to be an interesting comment on society's acceptance of mental illness years ago and the changes in treatment from the 1930's to present. If this story had taken place in more recent years, it would have been a completely different story.

I can't say I liked it, but I didn't dislike it either. I found it disturbing and emotionally draining. When I closed the book, I was...relieved. If you like a heavy storyline, with depth and emotion, this is a great book! It was complicated, but well-written.

***

3 comments:

  1. First of all, Oprah's book club is ALWAYS a downer. Nothing happy or light hearted, and what she says I take LITTLE heed to. I think you were VERY brave to sit down and finish the book. I want to be the first to tell you that I will not be reading this thanks to you. I had a hard time even getting through HALF of the book The Road, and had to stop because I wanted to slit my wrists. I enjoy a good downer every know and again but I don't have time for my own bull let alone some fictional bull. Again THANK YOU for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoiler alert dont red this comment if you want to read the book but haven't yet:I truly loved this book. Having grown up in a family where depression and manic depression was an every day struggle, it was something I could relate to and then draw strength from. I think books that some consider "downers" can bring strength to those who have lived similar stories.
    I have a sister (we are Irish twins)who has been my very best friend my who life and so from that perspective it touched me deeply the things this woman did for her sister. And throughout the entire story I was thinking how could this woman be so cold as to kill her sister and then raise her sisters daughter? But that was just another lesson to us all how easily it is to misjudge. the moment we find out the bite was not a defensive wound but it was a the sign of the depth of her love to her sister rang so true for me.
    I loved it, I loved the storytelling ability that this woman has, I loved the moral, I loved every bit of it. I have lived through some dark times and I have come out of them stronger and there is strength and beauty in hearing the stories of others who have lived through them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your great comments. I love to hear a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete