How To Use This Book List

Many of the books here are written for young adults. However, some are definitely adult books. I don't always specify in my comments; however if you are interested in a book, find it at the library. If it's in Juvenile Fiction or Young Adult Fiction, it's usually safe for kids 12-15 (be sure to preview just in case). If the book is found elsewhere, you can always ask a librarian for their input.
Personally, a few swear words don't do much for me, so I don't usually remember they are in there. Other types of content, however, are usually commented on.
Enjoy!!

p.s. Please leave a "care-to-share" (aka, comment) anytime you like.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

untouchable

by Scott O'Connor

I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I downloaded this book onto my phone (Kindle app). I began reading about this man and his son, "The Kid". The man worked a job where he cleaned up after the authorities where through. The Kid was trying to survive sixth grade in a school where the bullies had father's working at the school. I originally thought..Aliens? Mafia? Also, the mom was dead - at least that's the story the man told The Kid, but The Kid thought it was a coverup of some sort - she was a high school teacher. It was a little troubling at first, but in the end, the story was very touching. This father and son are trying to sort through a variety of feelings in a very human way, without means of verbal communication. Somewhere along the way, The Kid quite talking. I would say this was a "real" story. Could be someone you know. Although I don't think I'll read it again, I would recommend it. There's language (mostly from a sixth grade classmate with the mouth of a sailor), and a few disturbing scenes as far as death, but nothing graphic or explicit - just mature. Interesting and very human.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment